A mood board can help you to create an amazing design or graphic for your social media post. Which will help to grab the attention of your target audience!
Creating a mood board can help you to pick exactly the right colour combinations to convey the message you want in your post.
We can do it easily using only two simple tools:
- Canva Color Palette Generator, and
- Canva design app.
Follow these simple steps to help you create a mood board
Find a photo
- Find a photo that convey the mood you are looking for. You can use free stock photo sites like Unsplash, Pexel or any website you prefer for an image to use. Download this photo to your computer. You can even use your own photos!
For this example, we will look for a picture with bright colors, like this one I found on Pexels.com
Canva Color Palette Generator
2. Upload your photo to the Canva Color Palette Generator website.
3. Select Upload Image, navigate to where the photo is stored, select the photo, and click on Open.
4. At the bottom of your photo you will now see how the tool extract the colors from the photo. You will see the individual colors with their names and HEX values.
5. You can create our mood board with Canva on the website or using the desktop app. First you need to sign up for Canva. You can do this with Google, Facebook, Apple or using your email with a password.
6. Using the search bar, we can now search for an Instagram post template. And on the new page that open select the blank template.
7. Click on Elements on the side bar at the left and search for Grid. Select a grid with five elements. One on top with four underneath.
8. Go to Uploads, click on Upload Image or Video button, and select the same photo we have used to extract our color palette from. Then drag and drop the image to the top grid. You will see that the image snaps to the grid.
Copy HEX Values
9. Now we are going to copy the HEX values from the Canva Color Palette Generator into Canva. When selecting one of the color grids, the HEX value is automatically copied to the clipboard.
10. In Canva, select the first bottom grid and click on the color picker on top. Paste the HEX value and select the first color that shows. See how it changes the color of the grid!
11. Repeat steps 9 and 10 to fill the colors in the remaining grids.
Save your mood board
12. The last step is to save your mood board. Click top right on Download and select from the drop-down the option you want PNG ꟾ JPG ꟾ PDS Standard ꟾ PDF Print or GIF. Select download and save the image to your computer. You will get a pop-up block asking you for a free trial. Your choice! Otherwise just close it with the top right arrow.
There you go, you have completed your first mood board!